衛星
マップで表示する
  • 日7

    Porto Scavenger Hunt - Random walking

    2023年9月18日, ポルトガル ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    》Igreja dos Clérigos

    The 'Church of the Clergy' is an fine Baroque building in its own right. Built in 1750 and taking almost twenty years it precedes the tower by over ten years. Beyond its imposing granite facade and staircase the most notable feature of the church is its oval-shaped plan, the first church in Portugal to have such a design.

    The fine Rococo marble interior has a light and airy feel in contrast to many of Porto's other churches. The standout features are the domed ceiling with the coat of arms of the Brotherhood of the Clerics and the pair of Iberian organs which flank the main altar.

    After committing over three decades of his life to this project, and making Porto his home, it seems fitting that architect Nicolau Nasoni should be buried here. Up until very recently it was only a legend that Nasoni was buried in Clerigos but in 2015, during renovation works, a crypt containing his tomb was discovered under the main altar.

    》Igreja de Santo António dos Congregados

    In English this means the Church of St Anthony's Congregation. It is attractively decorated with blue and white tiles and can be found just north of the main Porto Sao Bento Railway Station. It is more like a chapel than a traditional church.

    St Anthony was born in Lisbon at the end of the 12th century in a house near Lisbon cathedral. He was baptised with the name of Fernando Martins de Bulhoes. He became a Portuguese Catholic priest and friar of the Franciscan order and became famous for his knowledge of the Bible and forceful preaching. He is the patron saint the finding things or people that are lost.

    Around 1210, he joined, as a novice monk, the religious monastic order of the Canons Regular at the Augustinian Abbey of Saint Vincent on the outskirts of Lisbon. He came from a wealthy and noble family who often came to visit him at the Abbey. He was very conscientious about studies and found these visits a distraction. He requested to be moved to the monastery of Santa Cruz de Coimbra, which was an important mediaeval and ecclesiastical cultural centre at that time where he studied Latin, Canon law, philosophy and theology.

    During the occasion of an ordination in 1222 Fernando was called upon to give a sermon to his fellow Franciscan monks and visiting Dominican Friars. It created a deep impression on everyone present. His skill was recognised and he went on to became a renowned preacher and teacher of Scripture. He soon came to the attention of the founder of the Franciscan order Francis of Assisi and Pope Gregory IX. He died young age 35. He was canonised quickly by the Pope because of his special preaching and teaching ability and dedication to the church.
    もっと詳しく