Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Porto Scavenger Hunt - Stop 6

    September 18, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 72 °F

    》Azulejos

    Images of Portugal often include the colorful glazed tiles found throughout the country. Azulejos, as these tiles are called, have been prominent in Portugal since the 1700s. Their inspiration came from the Moorish influence of invaders in Spain and Portugal as early as the 13th century. 

    The word azulejo comes from Arabic, meaning “little polished stone.” Appearing on the exteriors and interiors of structures like churches, markets, train stations, and government buildings, they carry with them a meaningful history and deep connection to the Portuguese identity. Over the centuries, azulejos have evolved and spread so that an infinite variety can be found all over the country.

    King Manuel I, known as “the Fortunate,” ruled over great expansion and formation of the Portuguese Empire. When he visited Granada, Spain and saw the stunning Alhambra palace with its colorful tiles, he brought back the idea of using tiles to embellish empty walls in Portuguese architecture. The tiles of this time were simple geometric shapes in accordance with religious law, but as they grew in popularity and laws changed, so did the azulejos.

    As time marched on, the azulejos evolved. In the 17th century, azulejo designs were influenced by the famous blue-and-white tiles of Delft in the Netherlands. The Portuguese elite loved the blue and white tiles and bought them from Amsterdam until King Pedro III of Portugal put a halt on the imports. He wanted Portugal to produce azulejos in the country and so began the domestic production of Portuguese azulejos.

    The 18th century was a golden age for the mass production of azulejos in Portugal. The Portuguese, known for telling stories, used the tiles as a way to create public artworks that were not only beautiful but also communicated everything from history to culture. Tiles included depictions of nature and scenes of human life, and ultimately became more colorful and immensely popular. Entire ceilings and walls have been assembled to impart history and tell tales.
    Read more