Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 104

    Byron Bay Day 3

    April 14, 2023 in Australia

    Today was our surf lesson. I was pretty apprehensive considering I hate to be under water without my goggles but what a great morning we had! We met at the beach where we met our surf teacher, Gary, who was a 54 year old Aussie who was fantastic and had us laughing all morning with my favourite moment being when he directed to Tom, "Anytime today would be good.."!

    We started with some theory where he explained about the currents in the sea, the safety and the key point of taking a long swim if you get caught in a current.

    We then started practicing some basic skills on our boards after waxing them up, before Gary swapped me and Tom around (much to Tom's disappointed as he wasn't impressed with my waxing skills). We had to wax in diagonals for the grip, and the younger instructor was not impressed when Tom dropped the brand new wax onto the sand!

    We headed into the sea, which was much trickier and tiring than expected as it was quite a walk out we had to go with our boards attached to our ankles with the waves adding challenge!

    We probably had around 10 surfs in total and surprisingly both managed to get up on our boards with a couple of surfs making it all the way without falling. This helped with the instructors giving us a push out onto the waves and telling us when to get up.

    Both instructors were great, and Gary was determined to improve my confidence and mindset by the end of the lesson!

    We stopped for some post surf snacks before having a chilled rest of the day. In the evening, we headed to a local burger joint.
    Read more