Satellite
  • Day 1

    Colombia Days 1 and 2

    July 26, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ 🌧 57 °F

    Arrived this afternoon in Bogota Colombia. Traveling with friends Mary Lou (ML) (nurse I worked with at Santa Rosa Kaiser) and her husband Robert. They left a couple days before me and spent 2-3 days in Mexico City, the half way point of a flight from San Francisco to Bogota, Colombia. I took a red eye last night, leaving San Francisco at 11PM, arriving Mexico City at 5:30AM their time - 2 hour time difference from SF. Met ML and Robert at the airport and after a 2- 3 hour layover, on to Bogota. All via Aeromexico, uneventful and comfortable flights. I do not sleep much on airplanes but finally did get at bit of sleep after we left Mexico City about 8:30 this AM.

    On arrival, after through all the usual protocols, we were met by distant relatives of Robert's who live here in Bogota - Carlos and Claudia. Robert had arranged this and they are a delightful couple who are happy to show us around Bogota!! How lucky is that. We had booked a Bed and Breakfast in the City and, after some "rush hour" traffic woes, found our B & B the Bogota Bed and Breakfast Inn. It is lovely and hosts are so very gracious and helpful. We did just bit of settling down and then had a lively cocktail hour over a bottle of Chilean wine, in their lounge with the 5 of us. Carlos speaks fairly English, Claudia not much, Robert speaks quite good Spanish (that is going to be a blessing), Mary Lou understands more than I do and I catch a work, phrase or 2 during the conversation. :-( Got a local typical Colombian restaurant recommendation from our hosts and we all went to dinner - lots of conversation, did not hit religion but, of course, did hit politics. I had a typical Colombian fare - Canzuela Montenero (not exactly sure that is right) - pork, chorizo, plantains, beans in a hearty broth with rice and avacado on the side. Along with Sangria and a lemon yerba buena combination - non-alcoholic - and like a slurpi (very good) - we are all ready to crash.
    Read more