Satellite
  • Day 10

    Torre dell Orso to Otranto

    September 13, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today was a busy day with a lot of variety and walking. Full buffet breakfast again then easy on-time bus to Otranto.
    Dumped luggage and walked along the coast to Baia del Orte. Strong northerly winds had whipped up a good swell and surf. Even saw several board riders later in the afternoon. It was a hard walk using rough paths and sadly there was too much swell to swim. Went inland to the very red Cava di Bauxite filled with very green water and walked home quickly using the road.

    After a stop at the ordinary B&B, I walked north and managed a swim from the beach, then fig and almond and coconut gelato for a late lunch.
    Then finally some culture. The cathedral floor showed the tree of life with the trunk leading down to the altar, featuring Alexander the Great. A side chapel holds the bones of 800 Otranto people massacred by the turks in 1480. The downstairs crypt was a sea of columns.
    Then to the Byzantine Church of St Peter which was built on the highest point of Otranto at the beginning of 10th century when the turks occupied the town.
    Ordinary dinner choice on the castle walls.
    Read more