Satellite
  • Day 43

    Up to Rarangi Beach

    November 19, 2021 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Having not been for a decent walk for a few days now we decided to head to the Wither Hills Farm Park on the outskirts of Blenheim, where there are a number of walking tracks. We chose the one named ‘Gentle Annie’ for our climb up to a lookout as this sounded the least arduous, and indeed it was a lovely walk through a forested section of the farm.
    After about 10 minutes, Charlie realised that he’d forgotten to lock the vehicle, so he headed back to the carpark while I meandered slowly on. By the time he had caught up with me again he was pretty hot – the dashboard was showing 26 degrees when we eventually got back to the motorhome! When we reached the lookout we could see all the way from the top of the Wairau Valley to the west, across the roofs of Blenheim to the mountains and out over Cook Strait to the east, where we could also make out the North Island.
    We left Blenheim just after lunch and headed north to Rarangi Beach, where we are parked in another DOC campground, waiting for the ‘mini’ blood moon to rise out of the ocean and begin the first lunar eclipse of its duration in about 800 years.
    Read more