Satellite
  • Day 19

    Getting Chilled and Getting High

    September 18, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    This our last day with the car. I have established that it is 30 minutes by car or an hour by train to get to Spaland, and it's on our list. One or two other items look like being left off though. Spaland is in a shopping centre which makes it all seem a bit weird right off. We get our key and locker number, proceed to the first set of lockers which are just for our shoes and then it is off to the separate change rooms and bath areas. We are given a set of pyjamas, shorts and shirt which are for the mixed gender areas, as well as two towels, then instructed on what to do and where to go. The ladies side has about a dozen baths of varying temperatures, some with water jets and some still. There is also an area with two saunas and a massage room which I did not discover until we were almost done.

    The mixed gender area has a whole bunch of steam rooms all of different themes and temperatures as well as areas to just lie down rest and an outdoor foot bath. There is also a restaurant and we decide to have lunch here. I have the "Hangover Soup" which has chunks of beef with veg in a tasty broth, while Richard has a seafood stew with abalone and mussels.

    After three hours here we are feeling very relaxed.

    On our way there in the car we came across a radio station with English speaking presenters. One was describing what he did on the weekend and mentioned the Songdo cable car. We decide to check it out. As it turns out it just happens to be located at one of the two beaches I had ear-marked as possibles and located only a few kilometres from our hotel. Perfect.

    The Busan Air Cruise is amazing. The base station is at the northern end of Songdo Beach while the top station is a mere 1.6km away at the top of a hilltop at the southern end. It takes you over the water for its entire length. We are rewarded with Chupa Chups when purchasing our tickets. We choose the cabin with the glass floor for optimal viewing. At the top station is a viewing platform as well as observation deck and a small sculpture park with, in addition to some cute fun characters, animated dinosaurs. The whole experience is a bit quirky and definitely fun.
    Read more