Satellite
  • Day 16

    La Météo en Bretagne

    September 12, 2017 ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    I have to admit that the sun has been a rare companion. Most days have been cloudy or grey or misty or outright raining.

    But today we head to the southern- most part of the coast. We are going canoeing which should be a nice change of pace.

    We depart from Chateau de Val in clear skies and sunshine. The group is very upbeat as we pull out of the driveway. Once again we pass through small and mid-size villages with agricultural fields lining the sides of the road outside if the residential villages.

    The head of the canoe operation is named Phillipe. He's a sturdy fellow wearing a wetsuit that ends at his knees. We are soon afloat, six canoes paddling down the xxx river. It's flat water, quiet and serene. The canoe launch is not far from the canal lock that carries our canoes around the dam to the river below. The locks are hand operated by a woman standing nearby. She makes sure we are all properly lined up and then opens the gates so that we slowly descend to the lower river level. We paddle downriver for a while. Everyone is enjoying the silence and sun. We spot two fairly large grey herons on the river banks. It's nice to have companions who are interested in birds and the natural aspects of this area.

    Eventually we reverse course and paddle back toward the lock. As we approach, the mistress of the lock operation reverses the water flow and we are all magically raised to the upper level of the river.

    There are some amusing moments as we try to exit the canoes gracefully. Some canoe partners have better results than others! Quite a nice morning we all agree. A check of the sky reveals incoming clouds. Before we leave the driveway, rain is starting on the windshield. No matter, its time for lunch.
    Read more