Satellite
  • Day 21

    It's Sunday in Paris

    September 17, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    We meet a newly married couple at breakfast. They are from Ghent celebrating their recent marriage. They speak excellent English and are very nice.

    Our host has made a warm rhubarb crumble. It's delicious. All of our breakfasts have featured something special -apple tart, a warm brioche - plus the fresh croissants , fruit, yogurt, two or three cheese selections. Whew it is more than anyone can eat. We are worried about the quantities left over but we do our best before pushing away from the table. We rarely want or need lunch.

    For the afternoon, Bill and I have tickets for the renovated Picasso Museum - which we are anxious to see.

    Patrimony Days continue and there are lots of people out on the streets including tourists, families and shoppers. The sun is out! It somehow feels like a holiday.

    We accidently discover the Museum des Arts and Metiers on the way to the Picasso and it's free so we go in to check it out. A most surprising place that has gathered together the early instruments and inventions of the scientific era. They are sorted by category and in chronographical order from sextant to computer. It's more interesting than it sounds and we are mesmerized.

    Then on to the Picasso. We spend a couple of hours and then move on. The renovation has erased virtually all the charm of the former building. Most probably it is better for the artwork; nevertheless, something has been lost.

    Once again we return home needing a good sit-down. Jeanne Etienne pops up from somewhere to say there is a half-bottle of champagne awaiting us. Goodness, how delightful!

    After all he says, it is our 'last night' in Paris. Ahh. As if that explains his generosity and warm welcome!

    We are smitten with this neighborhood and our accommodations. It's been a wonderful stay.
    Read more