Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Journees European du Patrimoine

    September 16, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Are we lucky or what? Today and tomorrow, France celebrates national pride by offering free entry to many of the city's museums, private homes and government buildings. Many of the buildings are normally closed to the public.

    Once again we start across the Seine; we are heading for the Musee de Cluny. It's small and not well known so we hope there will not be a line. As we pass the Concierge and Notre Dame, tourists are lined up around the block and security is heavy. It's raining too. Ugh. We exit on the left bank and head to the Cluny. No line, no charge. It is a perfect jewel to visit.

    We had planned a Paris Walks tour but it's raining again so we skip it. We take a break for lunch and hot tea. Of course the sun comes out. So we walk toward the Louvre.

    On the way we stop at the former bank of France, but it's closed except for a sculpture in the court yard. It's a huge tangle of aluminum tubing as tall as the walls. It thunders like an earthquake, it also moans, squeals and chirps. To our amazement, it also smokes up a storm, huge clouds of smoke billowing in the courtyard. Wow. It represents a very earnest message about climate change. Wow. Again. Mesmerizing.

    We head back across the river and the whole scene changes. The Louvre is also free today; everyone in Paris, every bus, taxi and car is trying to enter at the pyramid. Eek! We move away quickly, or at least as fast as we can in the massive amount of traffic and humanity.

    Home again, we put up our feet. Our wonderful host, Jeanne, had left a bottle of rose for us, along with a plate of Chanter a is melon. It's very nice as an aperitif and special because it's so unexpected.

    Later we head out for dinner and find that the famous Frenchie's is right around the corner! Quelle surprise😊. It's closed...on a Saturday night??

    We find a different spot and we're happy to crash once again by 10.
    Read more