Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Leaving Cuba

    December 19, 2017, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ⛅ 81 °F

    Cuba is confusing. The many failures of socialism were screaming around us—poor roads, decaying mansions, intermittent water. Nevertheless, the Cuban people seem genuinely happy, though they freely admit that the economy of the Castro regime has failed. It may be that this apparent happiness is simply due to their resignation to a difficult situation that has not changed significantly during the lifetime of the current generation. Of course the government under Fidel’s brother Raoul cannot simply admit that their socialist experiment was unsuccessful. They still stress that Cuba has an astronomically high literacy rate of 99 percent (true), as well as free, fast and very effective government medical treatment for all (also true). Still, changes are taking place at an incredible pace. Free enterprise is permitted for individuals, though not yet for industries. The Cuban people are wonderful. Their love and respect for us Americans reminds one that people do not war against one another. Governments do. Our experience was amazing. Cuban culture is a very thick soup with Caribbean, African, Spanish, French, English, and Chinese ingredients. In Trinidad de Cuba we found the music to be a solid object as firm as a monument. As a percussionist I was dazzled by several pieces of music (one in 13/8 time) with as many as three different syncopated rhythms occurring simultaneously. Cuba is all of this, and I have not even touched upon its history. This island is amazing. And it is changing with breathtaking speed. Come soon if you can.

    Glenda Cook: We just left Cuba and my thoughts are mixed. Cuba proves socialism does not work. They do have great arts, education, medical and dental care but the infrastructure is crumbing. The grand houses of the 1800s and 1900s before the revolution are crumbling and 1950’s cars are the norm. The people are resourceful and gracious and music and dance are everywhere. They live in extreme poverty and there more carts pulled by horses than there are cars. I am reminded of the hymn " This is my Song.” Google it for the words. It is a poetic reminder of a truth that spans all nations and people.
    Read more