Satellite
  • Day 5

    On the Trail of Shakespeare

    August 23, 2015 in England ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    At 7:30 am we had breakfast and our suitcases were retrieved. By 8:00 am we will be rolling toward the Cotswolds.

    At about 9:00 am we arrived at the little town of Bladon, which is adjacent to Blenheim Castle. There were viewed the lovely little churchyard where Sir Winston Churchill is buried. The little parish of St. Martin was just about to begin Sunday services, so without disrupting them, I popped inside to take a quick photo just as the procession was about to begin.
    At 11:30 am we arrived at Stratford-upon-Avon, took a quick photo stop at the home of Anne Hathaway. Just before the rain started we had a wonderful visit to the birthplace of Shakespeare and a walk through the lovely town. There was a craft fair on the riverside, and lovely half-timbered houses scattered throughout the town.

    At 5:30 pm we arrived at the Marriott Hotel in York. Rain all day. David pointed out the ruins of the castle built by Bess of Hardwick, the second wealthiest woman in Elizabethan England, and other points of interest along our route. I was surprised at our rest stop around 3:45 pm to find a Krispy Kreme Doughnut shop. Supper is at the hotel tonight at 7:00 pm, and tomorrow we will enjoy a walking tour of the old, central part of the city and a guided tour of Yorkminster.

    At 9:00 pm we returned to the room from supper. Guests in the dining room next to ours had to scurry quickly when a sudden downpour sent streams of water cascading through a skylight and onto their table. Glenda and I ate with Dana and his wife Carol.
    Read more