Satellite
  • Day 25

    Ice Cream in Krems

    May 19, 2015 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Scenic Cruising: at about 2:20pm we pass the Aggstein Castle in the Wachau Valley. 2:34 pm. One Lord of this castle would kidnap people, and offer them a choice. Either they could pay the ransom or agree to jump off the cliff to their death. Maypole in small village. Vineyards over church steeple. Ruins of the castle Spitz. 2:37 pm.

    2:55 Weissenkirche was Protestant church attacked in thirty years war, has defensive wall,

    3:00 pm Durnstein Castle. Richard the Lionhearted was imprisoned here after he went on a crusade. His mother ransomed him by paying 26 metric tons of silver.

    In the afternoon we walked into Krems with John and Dawn; Heather and Don; Mel and his wife, and a few others. We got separated fairly quickly. We hung with Heather and Don and went to get gelato. John told us about two churches he had found, the Dom and one other church, the Piaristenkirche. We took photos in both. In the evening we had a Viennese buffet with accordion and guitar players strolling among the tables. I tasted schnapps, but didn't care for it. I ate a small cheese plate, and that is all I really wanted. However, when we went back into the kitchen, there was a serving line with Wiener schnitzel, bratwurst and all sorts of Viennese food that I could not resist.
    Read more