Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Salona

    April 25, 2022 in Croatia ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    I had never heard of the ancient town of Salona, but its history and beauty make it remarkable. Greek traders recorded a settlement here around 600 BC. Residents called themselves the Dalmati, a word which means “shepherds” in the ancient Croatian language, and their central settlement was here. While evidence of it is still exists, it is overgrown with grass and vines and has not yet been fully excavated. When the Romans later occupied this place they gave it the name Dalmatia. The Roman emperor Diocletian was born here, and after serving in Rome, he returned here to his birthplace for his retirement. After the Romans, this place was occupied and enlarged by Christians in the fifth century. Ruins from both periods have been excavated and tourists are still free to walk around them, to touch the stones and even to climb upon them. A large Roman public bathhouse and a Christian basilica have been unearthed.

    The Croats came here in the sixth century AD and destroyed everything. Saracens attacked Salona in the eighth century, and with the passage of time, the activity moved from Salona to nearby island of Trogir and later to the city of Split. Salona was lost until excavations began in the early 20th century. My guess is that when the outside world discovers this area, such intimate contact will no longer be allowed. We feel privileged to be able to experience again the wonderful sights of this historic place.
    Read more