Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Random thoughts from Glenda

    October 12, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    Glenda’s random reflections:

    The waving ceremony is a very real part of Japanese society. Whenever we arrive at the port, go through customs, leave on a tour, return from a tour, or pass guards or security at any location, we receive smiles and waves. This morning, elderly men and women were volunteer wavers to greet us and send us on our tours. I really look forward to these waves at each location. It is hard to get a photo of our wavers because we are hurrying to busses but I am determined to get one tomorrow.

    Today, on our way to visit a shrine, we passed about 300 elementary school children having a picnic in an open area just outside of the shrine. They had their little lunches and their drinks and all of their picnic accessories spread out on the ground. They were typical children, who were laughing, playing, running around, and just enjoying being six year olds .I told Chuck that it would be interesting to see if there were any trash left on the ground when those 300 young children left to go back to school. I will simply post for you the picnic area with the children and then the picnic area after the children left. No commentary is necessary . Our guide told us that the children spend about half an hour every day at school cleaning their classroom, cleaning the blackboards, wiping off the desks, sweeping and mopping. They also clean the restrooms and clean up the kitchen area where their lunches are made. The culture of responsibility and orderliness starts early here. Mika Jean Lawrence, I see you in every person and gesture and smile and wave here. I see you in the kind gestures and humble spirits and gentle souls we meet . Shane Lawrence, you must come to Japan to truly know Mika. And once you are here you will love her even more.
    Read more