Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 9 penguins, penguins, penguins

    March 8, 2018 in Antarctica ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    What can I say, you just have to come to this magical place for yourselves, as words can’t do it justice. This morning we toured in a zodiac around Yalour Islands, stunning landscape, icebergs and wildlife.
    Wildlife: Humpbacks, Adelie penguins, Gentoo penguins, Crabeater seal
    After lunch back on Ocean Diamond we boarded our zodiac for a shore excursion to Booth Island, landing at Port Charcot, named by a French explorer after his father. Jean-Baptiste Charcot wintered on Booth Island in 1904. The Island is now home to some 80,000 Gentoo penguins, they are so much fun, they come right up to you, and are as inquisitive as we are. We walked to the top of the Island to a cairn - a memorial to the Charcot’s expedition. We then boarded the zodiac to cruise or plow through the ice, around the island to enjoy the iceburgs and wildlife up close.
    Wildlife: Gentoo penguins, Chinstrap penguin, Crabeater seal, fur seal, Antartic gull, Skua etc.
    As if this place could get any better - when we started sail we went through the Lemaire Passage - simply stunning - we are blessed. We know this Passage was special as all the expedition team were out front enjoying the views with us. We are going to bed contented people.
    Read more