Satellite
  • Day 11

    Day 10 Setting foot on the Continent

    March 9, 2018 in Antarctica ⋅ ❄️ 1 °C

    This morning we cruised in the zodiac through iceburgs and a plethora of wildlife and then we went for a walk on the smelly side. We landed on Cuverville Island home to 5,000 pairs of breeding Gentoo penguins. They are so cute and inquisitive, Stephen was standing with his legs a little apart and one penguin waddled right up to him and continued through his legs, as if one walks through a black arch everyday to get home.
    Wildlife: Gentoo penguins, Chinstrap penguins, Crabeater seal, fur seal, Leopard seal, Waddell sea, Antartic tern, Skua, Kelp gull, Humpback whales.
    The Ocean Diamond then set sailed through Andvord Bay to Neko Harbour. The Passage was unbelievable, whilst most people had lunch we went to the bridge and upper deck to watch the Captain and crew navigate through what we thought an impossible passage. The Russian speaking Engineer told us two ships tried to navigate the passage yesterday and had to turn around - 10 out of 10 for our Captain. However when we did reach Neko Harbour it was not suitable for a zodiac landing, we then steamed to Paradise Harbour. We finally landed on the Continent at an Argentinian Station -they left yesterday, however the Gentoo penguins warmly greeted us. Before returning to this ship we cruised the Harbour which was the playground for Humpback whales. Tonight we are staying in the Harbour for protection from the winds - however we are parked just off a glacier, which has calved several times this afternoon. I envisage we will have a night of groans and maybe calving during the night - so the ship we be rocking from the waves caused by the calving.
    Wildlife: Gentoo penguins, Humpback whales, leopard seals, Snowy sheathbill, Antartic terns
    Read more