Satellite
  • Day 11

    Salt fields and cooking class

    July 11, 2019 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    It was a lovely relaxed start to the day, after a rather good night’s sleep I was wide awake at 0600hrs and decided to get up and do the exercises I have been neglecting (owing to all the riding is my… not very good… excuse) and then swam a few laps of the pool. Breakfast was a leisurely affair and again delicious, we all enjoyed taking our time and chatting before being kitted out for our morning visit to another NGO – this time the Chumkriel Language School at the salt fields. It was a very pleasant and easy 5 km ride out of Kampot to the Chumkriel Language School (CLS) at the salt fields. The school, which started in 2005 in a small classroom, began by teaching English to 100 children. Today it has a dedicated school building, agricultural garden and sports field, and is teaching a comprehensive curriculum to the children of the local community, including teaching English to over 500 children. The philosophy of the organisation is of a hand-up rather than a hand-out, and at present they are able to offer; Daily classes in Khmer subjects, health & hygiene, and basic English for over 100 primary-age children. A library where reading skills are fostered. Computer classes for secondary students. English classes attended by over 500 children. A sports field for informal recreation and organized sports. A garden to teach children and their families how to grow their own vegetables. A Soup Kitchen providing daily lunch for 31 children. Free transport from the salt fields to the government school for up to 30 local children and scholarships for children to attend high school or university. We spent about an hour or so there learning about the work they do. The salt field workers have been hit very hard by climate change adding the difficulties of their lives. The altered whether patterns have meant rains in the wrong seasons and so very little salt has been able to be made from the fields and hence there is no wages for the workers.
    We rode back to town and then Deb and I headed off for another massage (a half hour foot reflexology treatment – divine) and then browsed a few shops before finding our way to Deva Café for lunch. This was way across the other side of the river but was worth the walk. It was a quirky place, the café was on the side of a busy road and looked like a kids tree house but the food was sensational – we enjoyed sangria and a banana flower salad and some stir-fried mushrooms and coconut ice-cream to finish. Described as a sanctuary for women. The Banteay Srey Project operates as a vocational training centre for Cambodian women, providing them with well-paid jobs and many ongoing training opportunities. The Project runs three social enterprises including a women’s spa, yoga studio, and a vegan café. The spa and cafe offer an ideal opportunity for Khmer girls coming from difficult circumstances to work and develop themselves in a peaceful, restorative environment. At the project, trainees are given step-by-step instruction to develop skills. Through providing high quality services to foreign guests and communicating in English, they develop confidence, cultivate a new sense of self-esteem and learn useful skills for future employment. They are given excellent working conditions, medical benefits, maternity care, and a fair salary.
    After lunch we had to leg it back to the hotel – halfway back Deb realised she had forgotten her drink bottle and had to grab a Tuk-Tuk to go back for it while I dashed back to the hotel while working out where we were going and letting Deb know. It all worked out as we all ended up at the Kampot Pepperpot and Seafood Restaurant at the designated time for our cooking class.
    First we had to decide what we wanted to cook and then we travelled by Tuk-Tuk to the local market were we purchased our ingredients. The market was very local with mud, cats, rats, holes in the roof and everything from gold jewellery to beef liver up for sale – I think some of the group were overwhelmed but it was GREAT, I wish I had more time to go back and explore and the confidence to purchase there.
    Back at the restaurant we got stuck in to making our meal. We did a baked egg custard (but with palm sugar and coconut cream and baked in a small pumpkin. We then prepared our starters – mine was an tiger prawn and eggplant warm salad and then it was Fish Amok for mains. Once we had done the cooking, which was great fun, we then did the eating, which was even more fun although way too much delicious food…mmm.
    Totally stodged full it was back to the hotel for some work, some wine and a swim, followed by more work and I have to admit more wine…… last day on tour tomorrow… so sad!
    Read more