Satellite
  • Day 5

    Cape of Good Hope and Boulder

    February 7, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Lazy start this morning. Our trip to Cape Aghulus was probably a bit much having just arrived the day before. Also, it is very hot so maybe a bit of heat exhaustion too (just thought I'd rub it in as gather you are freezing in the UK!).

    So today we drove down the length of the Peninsular from Hout Bay to Muizenberg. For the most part stunning scenery and very windy roads but as we got closer to Cape Point it became more rugged, arid and windswept. Baboons everywhere - nasty things - and some ostriches. The proteas are just about to flower so we're hoping they do before we leave. Wondering if the drought is delaying that. We have had no rain and it doesn't look as if there is any on its way.
    Stopped at Boulder for lunch - our most expensive to date - about £50 but Roger had oysters and we then had grilled Tiger prawns peri peri and salad - delicious. For the most part lunch/dinner is costing in the region of £35 and the steak house that we have been to two nights running ('cos I got the wrong day to meet up with the Gavshons!) lets you bring your own wine (you can buy a very tidy Rose/White for £2-3!

    Boulder is where you can see the African Penguins close up - literally feet away. They don't seem to mind hundreds of people gawping at them - happily sitting on their nest waiting for their eggs to hatch - a few had already so there were some very proud Mummy penguins around.

    Although we have the hire car, we are using Uber to get around when we go out at night. 'Happy' is our chap - so pleasant and doesn't seem to mind if we are a bit late or have a change of plan - just laughs all the time - definitely a happy, chappy!
    Read more