Satellite
  • Day 22

    Okovango Day 2

    February 24, 2018 in Botswana ⋅ ☀️ 10 °C

    OK,penultimate day in the jungle! The plan is to walk with the tracker (armed with a 357 express), in the bush for a little instruction on flora and fauna etc. This would be followed by a light lunch and a trip in a Mokoro dugout canoe through the wetlands. We had a great day. Ramsay is a great tracker and an authority on the biology of the bush. One hour of Indian file and a great Natural History lesson. We managed a rendezvous with the vehicle without incident. Wild animals noted Mrs G and kept well away!
    We then were taken to a spot on the delta to experience a short trip in the local dugout canoes. Clifford was our poler. We followed the narrow lanes made by Hippo through the water lily beds. Full of fish (Bream) and birdlife.
    Quite beautiful,no Hippo fortunately,and our poles did not get stuck! Managed some good shots however with Mrs G in front!
    We went back to the vehicle and were taken off to lunch in a clearing overlooking yet another lagoon. Fish eagles everywhere! Sandwiches in paradise! There were a few bottles of Rose in the chiller so a democratic decision was made not to hurry and polish them off. We had seen everything we came for bar a Leopard,but that's life. We returned to camp to meet the new lot of arrivals. No Americans thank God,but some Brits. Graham and Sharon, together with Scottish Ian and Fiona, great people and what a riot! They did not do the Septics either,result. After this evening I suspect that they will miss the 4 of us!!!.We finished off with a longish night. They had a 5am call,we saw the weather and decided on a lie in. A great decision as it transpired!
    Read more