Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Okovango Day 1

    February 23, 2018 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Great excitement,off into the bush today. White hunter Bwana Roger and the Memsahib. A bit like Ava Gardner and Stewart Granger! ( Jane looks a bit like Ava in twilight!).

    Brand new light aircraft into the delta (Paul really impressed as brand new). Destination Pom Pom Safari Camp. After a sweep of the landing strip to check for wildlife we touched down. I spotted a Black Rhinoceros from the plane which was a bonus - a superb result as they have only just been introduced into Botswana
    We were met by their staff doing a local dance and checked in. The rooms are amazing, definitely five star glamping (it's like staying in the Hilton in the Bush). The difference, however, is that the shower and the bath are outside!! From our terrace we saw troops of Baboons, various Antelope, a crocodile, elephants and a Hippo walked right in front of us literally 20 yards away - you almost don't need to go out in the land rovers looking for them
    We changed into Tropical kit and went lion hunting! Rams is a top guide and tracker so we had both him and another Bushman called Major to lead us to the wildlife. The bird life here is amazing all with dazzling colours and too many to mention. We found a pride of lions very quickly together with Elephant,Buffalo,Wilderbeast, and many different gazelles and buck. Please see the pics!
    We were fortunate to have Rams. He is now management and he really pushed the boat out for Paul,Henri and us. On one day he set up lunch by a beautiful lagoon full of Hippo. The lunch was great and the setting perfect. We also got to start at 7.30 not 5.30 like the rest of the guests! They are a mixed bag of different nationalities and all very pleasant except for 2 very rude Americans. Not just us as nobody else liked them either ! Mrs G still in one piece with no visible teeth marks. I reckon she is too tough even for the crocs and lions! It was an all inclusive deal so beer ,wine and gin in large quantities consumed. Stickies as well for those who wanted them! My liver will need a rest when we get home,all Paul's fault.
    Read more