Satellite
  • Day 42

    Day 42 - Let's Go Rangers!

    October 19, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    The freakishly hot weather continued today with temperatures approaching twenty seven degrees. After some life admin in the morning involving washing and such things we headed out for some brunch.

    There was one TV location that I was keen to see here eventhough it is simply the exterior of a diner. The exterior of Tom's Diner was used as the establishing shot for all those Seinfeld diner scenes. The interior also influenced how the set was created and that was obvious once inside. The food itself was wholesome and particularly cheap. A good detour.

    The rest of the afternoon was spent walking around Fifth Avenue and the surrounding area doing a little bit of shopping and a lot of window shopping.

    The evening was fast approaching and it was time for the day's main event, ice hockey at Madison Square Garden. I really wanted to see ice hockey and Alice really wanted to see something at Madison Square Garden. An ideal event. We had a quick look in the gift shop, got hotdogs, grabbed a box of popcorn and with a spare hand held a drink. Now we were ready. The New York Rangers were playing the Detroit Red Wings and the crowd appeared particularly passionate at this event, compared with the other sporting events we have been to. Not sure if this is an ice hockey or New York thing, or a combination of the two. The people around us were also incredibly friendly and when the couple next to us heard that we from another country and travelling they were keen to talk. We talked about many things and as the game began they were as keen to explain the rules as I was to listen. The game started at a frenetic pace and the Rangers scored within two minutes. The Rangers completely dominated and then continually spurned opportunity after opportunity. It was exciting to watch but also predictable when the Red Wings slowly worked their way back into the game and scored the few chances they had. It ended 2-1 to the Red Wings and the home fans weren't best pleased. A fun night despite the score. There's always the next game... let's go rangers!

    Song of the Day:
    Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner (actually named after the same diner we went to)
    Read more