Satellite
  • Day 56

    Day 56 - Thunderbirds Are Go!

    November 2, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Big drive today. Four hours to get to Savannah in Georgia. We started with a IHOP. I know, we're getting predictable.

    The drive was pretty boring, we're back on the intersections with little interruptions, tolls, etc. We drove on Interstate 95 for about 185 miles, maybe more.

    The arrival into Savannah includes a long drive over the Talmadge Memorial Bridge which feel like a rollercoaster ride. You appear to be driving up in to the sky and then over the hump of the bridge and then back down the other side. Savannah is then apparent as soon as you exit the bridge. Our motel was just a minute away from there and it is a really cool place. Alice specifically chose a 1960s themed retro motel, with bright colours on the doors and a huge neon sign out the front. Each day the room is refilled with a can of RC Cola and a Moonpie chocolate (it's like a mini wagon wheel) for each guest. Nice! Sixties music is also piped out of speakers from ten til eight every day. Considering it is not too loud and Alice and I both like this period of music, it works quite well. I'm currently listening to 'Hear Comes the Sun' by the Beatles as I write this post.

    In the evening we went for dinner at a Persian Restaurant. Alice was swayed to go for the special, lamb kofta, and she was very glad that she did. I went for the chicken kabob (that's right kabob) which was one large skewer with rice containing nuts, a few raisins and orange peel. It was top notch. After the meal, we fancied more beers and went to a local bar. By coincidence, game seven of the World Baseball Series was about to start. It was basically a big deal with both teams not having won the series for a long time. We had also stumbled into a bar that was about to start a pub quiz. This is now the second pub quiz that we've been present at here in the US and there is a big difference to how it's done in the UK. In the US, when a question is asked, a song is played and every team has to bring a slip of paper to the quiz master to check and then after the song the answer is revealed. In the UK, the quiz master reads out a long list of questions, then at the end of that round, each team swap their sheets with another team and all those answers are read out by the quiz master. Alice and I didn't take part in this quiz as we just couldn't be bothered to get up after each question and traipse over to the quiz master. Also the top prize was a bar tab that we thought we wouldn't have time to make use of anyway. We decided to just watch the baseball with beers and answer what questions we could amongst ourselves.

    Once we got back to the motel, I put the baseball on as it still hadn't finished. It started at 8pm and was still going on past midnight. A pretty epic game that the Chicago Cubs eventually won. A pretty good day too.

    Song of the Day:
    Prince - Musicology (heard a Prince song in the car and as we walked into IHOP we thought it was the same song playing as we entered. It wasn't. It was Musicology. We went with that anyway.)
    Read more