Satellite
Show on map
  • Welcome to McDermotts Travel Oz

    July 26, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Welcome to McDermotts Travel Oz - our very own holiday journal where we will attempt to capture the joy, excitement and special meaning that our travels bring to our life and family. And because we’re not all perfect, it will likely also document (some of) the tears, fears and ‘frustrations’ we inevitably experience along the way.

    This chapter will narrate our epic trans-continental road trip, with the excuse of celebrating both Anthony and Daniel's 50th birthdays (the original Hawaii 5-0 proposal was an early victim of the Covid-19 pandemic). Domestic travel for the win!

    It's evolving as a 'half-lap' of Australia from east to west (and back again), covering an estimated distance of more than 10,000 kilometres, where we will visit and witness some of our country’s most famous regions and places as we go, including:
    • Riverina Region of south-western NSW
    • Rural Riverland areas of VIC and SA
    • Far-west Coastal Region of SA
    • Great treeless Nullarbor Plain
    • Amazing sea cliffs of the Great Australian Bight
    • Goldfields-Esperance Region of WA
    • Coastal and cultural beauty of the Great Southern Region of WA
    • Majestic old-growth forests of south-west WA
    • World-renowned food, wine and beaches of the Margaret River Region of WA
    • Perth and Rottnest Island WA
    • Coral Coast Region of WA
    • Wheatbelt Region of WA
    • "Crossroads" of Australia
    • Outback NSW

    Our itinerary is shaping up nicely, though I am astounded how far ahead some places are booked out. Who knew WA’s Coral Coast is so in demand that accommodation and tours need to be booked 12 months in advance! It doesn’t help that astronomers have pinpointed Exmouth as the best land-based place in the world to witness the alignment of the sun, moon and earth in the upcoming April 2023 Ningaloo Eclipse, attracting umbraphiles (eclipse chasers – aka science nerds) from everywhere to the region. But more about this highly anticipated 1 minute, 16 second event later…

    Fortunately for now, our partners in travel crime, Daniel Giffney and Helen Budd, have us sorted for the Perth to Exmouth return leg of our adventure, booking in accommodation and several of our 'bucket list' activities including swim tours with Whale Sharks, Manta Rays and Dolphins.

    We also continue to refine our Sydney to Perth route - including the scenic south of WA, and confirm our return ‘sprint’ from Perth to Sydney - mixing it up via Wave Rock, Kalgoorlie, Streaky Bay and Broken Hill.

    Our adventure hasn't officially started yet and is still a way off. We will not be leaving until March 2023. But that doesn't mean there's not lots to plan and get excited about in the meantime.
    Read more