Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Orange Car Door Tour

    April 12, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Today we conquered the Orange Car Door Tour which took us an hour's drive west of town to the famous Grawin, Glengary and Sheepyard opal fields. If you thought Lightning Ridge was in the middle of nowhere, you haven't been to Grawin!

    Unlike the native bush environment around Lightning Ridge, the landscape across this region is rugged, comparable to the surface of the moon, dusty and barren, just waiting to be unearthed. Here, most opals are discovered wedged between layers of opal bearing clay and stone, known as seam opals.

    First stop - Club in the Scrub, a fantastically quirky and authentic Miners Sports Bar, complete with 'Beer & Bullsh*t' area. Who would believe it's an actual RSL club, and you’ve got to sign in!

    Next up, the Glengarry Hilton. Apparently, the outback pub was built to satisfy the thirsty needs of those who came to try their luck on the ever-popular opal fields in the 1970s. With very low expectations we braved lunch from the shipping-container kitchen, only to be served up perhaps the most succulently delicious burgers ever - even if there's a high possibility the patties were mouse meat!

    Moving on the boys indulged their noodling fever in the many piles of white dirt alongside buildings and the sides of roads. Unfortunately, the giant mullock heaps that have been known to present surprise pieces are now off-limits to the general public for safety reasons.

    Last on the tourist trail was Sheepyard Inn (jokingly referred to as ‘the best baaaaa in the outback’) with its eclectic collection of historical memorabilia, including an old train carriage that came from Sydney’s Taronga Zoo. And who could forget the impressive 'bra-tree'. I'll leave to the imagination as to whether I made a donation ;)

    Finally, we stopped at the War Memorial, built by local miners, many of whom are Vietnam Veterans.

    This was definitely a highlight and worth the day-trip for a glimpse of how Lightning Ridge itself probably would have been in the early days.
    Read more