Satellite
  • Day 6

    MOOSE!

    April 23, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 45 °F

    So far this has been a banner trip for wildlife. Normally we are lucky if we see a DUCK! We have seen baby ducks, deer, elk and many, many Canadian geese. We have seen several snowy white herons the size of COWS!!

    Between Missoula and Butte, we almost ran over (or were run over by) the most remarkable looking Coyote I've ever seen. He streaked across the freeway right in front of us, bushy tail, floppy ears and molting winter coat flying wildly behind him.

    Then today, we had the exact same experience with a Moose. I have pined to see a moose since I saw my first in the wild at about age 8. This was the first since then, and he/she was running across the road right in front of us. Pretty small and no antlers, so it was young or a female. But what she lacked in size, she made up for with speed and grace as she raced across just in time to miss us. Beautiful.

    Unfortunately, wildlife moves faster than we can put camera to our eyes. Gordon is now talking about getting a dash-cam. At least it would have caught the coyote and moose, and we'd be in good shape if any large meteors crashed to earth in our field of view.
    Read more