Satellite
  • Day 20

    La Paz.

    June 5, 2019 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Wowee so strange to be thrown back into an enormous city after seeing hardly anything man made for the past few days! Day 1 here was a treat! We stumbled off the overnight bus from Uyuni and into our hostel. A top brekky at a lovely spot nearby and then Chris hooked us up with the loveliest local guide ever, Laura (some friend of a friend of a brother and a sister). She took us all around and pointed out all the best spots and got us onto the cable cars that carry you above and beyond the city. An excellent way to see the city and skip the chaos down below. After a giant pizza for dinner, we’re ready to hit the hay.
    Day 2 in La Paz consisted of a 7am start. Our Altitude Tours bus picked us up from our hostel and we jumped into a van en route to the infamous Death Road. What an absolute blast. After getting to know our downhill bikes we barrelled down a busy bitumen road before stopping for a quick snack at the start of the death road. With twists and turns, bumps and rocks and tight corners it’s no surprise many have fallen here. On your left is a sheer drop off, often times 100ft drop to the bottom of the valley. On the right, an enormous steep incline that sometimes has waterfalls right onto the track that we rode under. The flora is lush and green, a welcome sight after it seems like months spent in the desert. Plummeting from 4,700m high to 1,300m the weather became warm and dry. A quick $14 surprise zip line halfway down gave us another quick shot of adrenaline as we ventured on to our final stop and the end of the death road. Gee whiz, what a brilliant day. Glad they told us at the end that 28 have died biking this road in 10 years (same odds as shark attack??). But man so worth it.
    Day 3 consisted of a bit of housekeeping. Washing clothes and organising back packs. Sadly Tallara had a spell of food poisoning so she was out for the day!
    Tabby & I were awarded quite a few free drinks from the Dutch owner of the cafe ‘Local Dish.’ Apparently that’s what happens when your card fails....two cards... twice.
    Onto the local markets and a few purchases later we’re back at ze hostel ready for a spell.
    Let’s get out of this hustle and bustle. Onto the Bolivia Hop bus and off to Peru via Copacabana. 🇵🇪
    Read more