Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Rainbow Mountain & Laguna 69.

    June 16, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 0 °C

    After our trek we were all exhausted but we only had one more day in Cusco! Tallara, Tabby and I opted for a 3:30am start to get to Rainbow Mountain. After a 2.5 hour drive we arrived and clambered out of the bus. At 4,600m the wind was chilly but we were the first ones there! The 3km walk up took us 1.5hrs as we trudged up the mountain. The altitude at the top was 5,065m high and boy did the lungs feel it!
    With all our warmer clothes in the wash from the trek we laughed at how ill prepared we were as snow fell from the sky.
    The view from the top was amazing!!! Now quite the full rainbow because of the snow, but incredible nonetheless.
    After a little while enjoying the view, and a memorial meeting at the top we walked briskly back to the bus as we passed hoards of people making their way up to the summit. As we walked the wind picked up and the snow came in a little harder! Glad to have finished it before the crowds and chill came we made our way back.
    We slept well and the next day caught an early flight to Lima. Glad to only be staying in this bustling city a few hours we made our way to the bus station and jumped on board a bus bound for Huaraz. The hiking capital of Peru.
    We arrived to Huaraz later in the evening and tramped to our hostel.
    We arose early again the next day. A 4:30am start and made our way by bus to the National Park that houses the famous Laguna 69.
    We arrived after a hearty brekky on the way at 9am and jumped out the bus. Here we began our 8km trek mostly up steep hills to the lagoon. The altitude (3,900- 4,600m) made the trek a challenge but the beauty around us made it well worth it. Up and along the bubbling brook we wove our way between snowy peaks to the incredibly blue lagoon. What a sight to see!
    Tallara’s 27th birthday today so a picnic once we got to the top was well called for. We spent an hour or two taking in the beauty of the lagoon before making our way back down and onto the bus.
    Beer and pizza are well deserved! A mighty nice way to spend a 27th!
    A nice down day tomorrow before we jet off to Colombia 🇨🇴
    Read more