Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Day 10: Netherlands to Copenhagen

    June 14, 2017 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    It was an early start this morning as we needed get to Schiphol Airport to catch our flight to Copenhagen. Rosemarie drove us to the airport and we had a dream run with the traffic. It was sad to say our goodbyes this morning but we are also excited for the adventures we have in front of us in Scandinavia.

    Two things I always notice at airports. One is watching the pilots walk through the crowd, they always look assured and confident (which is reassuring) and really are the top of the tree when it comes to drivers, I guess only astronauts would be higher in the pecking order but they don't transport people or goods per se. The other observation is the people who insist on getting on the travellators and just stand there. Why? I thought the point of them was to assist people get to the flight quicker. We watched one couple who stood next to each other and had about a dozen people backed up and waiting behind them, they appeared oblivious to the situation they had created. It reminds me of a story Henry Rollins tells about this phenomenon at airports but he puts it in a much more eloquent and funnier way than I can.

    We arrived in Copenhagen at around lunch time and found our way to our hotel which is just a 5 minute walk from the Copenhagen Central station. Our room is very nice and in a great location in the Vesterbro district. After a quick lunch and a beer we wandered off to familiarise ourselves with the city. We walked past the Tivoli Garden (we will visit this tomorrow), the Glyptoteket and National Museum before wandering into the Christianborg Palace.

    The palace was quite impressive but didn't really interest me that much.

    After the palace we wandered through the Stroget, which is a pedestrian car free shopping precinct and saw the Copenhagen Town Hall which was an impressive building. We were feeling a little tired so went back to the hotel to put the feet up and recharge the battery prior to heading our for tea. We ate at the Meat Packing district which is a short walk away. It was full of people enjoying the evening sun and a meal. There was people from all walks of life which made the people watching quite interesting.

    Amy is planning our activities for tomorrow and we are enjoying an earlyish night.

    Godnat.
    Read more