Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Birthday at camp Kalalau

    September 19, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 27 °C

    Today we get to spend the day at camp to rest and enjoy the site. We wake up around 6am, have coffee and breakfast. We then walk on the beach enjoying the spectacular view of the vista just above us. Too bad the camera is not able to capture all of it.

    We head at the end of the beach where we find a freshwater cave. We are able to go completely in the cave and take a swim if we want. I will come back later for the swim. On our way back we decide to swim and ride the ocean 🌊. You have to stay close to the shore, the waves are pretty strong. We’ve been warned that they can pull you out pretty quickly.

    There are many helicopters and boats that come by to view the beach and view of the lovely vista. They are however not allowed to land or shore at the beach. Only people who walk or kayak to this place can enjoy living in it for a while. Many photos will have our faces in them. Sorry everyone for ruining your photos 😐.

    After lunch we have a nap 😴. It feels cooler today. Tonight we’ll remove the exterior rain cover for the tent. If it rains we have it setup to quickly cover it up again. Some have decided to sleep at the beach 🏖. Too many mosquitoes for me, I’m usually a buffet for them, I won’t give them the opportunity.

    Later in the afternoon we go play in the waves again. It’s amazing the power of the water. We let ourselves be swept to shore and pulled back in. Lot’s of sand ends up everywhere but it’s worth the fun.

    There are goats nearby on the top of the ridges grazing at the grass. We see them run from place to place, it’s crazy how they can do that without falling. Because of them we have to be careful of falling rocks. There are signs everywhere.

    We have dinner with new friends that we made on this journey. We finish the evening by having a campfire on the beach followed by skinny dipping in the freshwater caves.

    I have to thank Ben for this great day. Yesterday I was swearing and wondering why we decided to do this crazy trek. Today I am happy to be here enjoying what nature is offering at one of the best beaches in the world. I had a great birthday. Thank you honey, I love you 😘.
    Read more