Satellite
  • Day 7

    Aran Islands

    September 9, 2016 in Ireland ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    We've been off the grid for a day or two but there's a good reason why! When you're in the middle of the Atlantic on a remote island there isn't much of anything around including access to the internet.

    On a cold rainy morning we left Galway and took a ferry to the Aran Islands which are off the coast of Ireland. The choppy seas and gusty winds definitely didn't have me too excited about getting to the islands however once we arrived I knew we'd have an experience we'd never forget! Since we knew we couldn't bike around the island in the rain we scheduled a ride on a covered carriage with a local man named John and his pony Jack. John grew up on the island making a living as a fisherman for 27 years but retired some years back and decided share his beloved island with tourists like us. He was the nicest man always making sure we were dry, warm and comfortable while he was getting rained on the whole time! John was a bit difficult to understand since he grew up speaking Gaelic and didn't learn English until later in his life, but he did a great job giving us the perfect island experience showing us how the locals live on this dark and gloomy island which has a history of inhabitants dating back 3500 years!
    Read more