Satellite
  • Day 1

    Supper in Memphis, TX

    June 8, 2015 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 23 °C

    At first we thought we'd eat supper in Lubbock. But the longer we drove, the farther away Lubbock seemed to be. After whizzing by eateries in towns so small that we were through them before we knew we were in them, we got smart and used our phones to search for restaurants in the town coming up, i.e. Memphis. Rock Inn Cafe is where we landed, at 7:45 p.m. There was no one in the cafe except employees, who assured is they were open till 9. While browsing the menu, we discovered there were bible verses printed on the pages. The staff was friendly, other people came in while we were eating and the food was good. We asked our waiter how far to Lubbock and he replied, "About 2 hrs. And watch out for the deer and feral hogs."

    Now we were pretty discouraged as we thought we'd be in Amarillo by 9. There must have been too many stops along the way. We decided to spend the night in Lubbock.

    So I called Bill and asked him to find us a good deal on a hotel in Lubbock. He did. I typed the address into my phone, and Lubbock was even father away AND was SOUTH of us. What? ! Then we passed a sign saying Amarillo was 60 miles away! I thought we had to go through Lubbock to get to Amarillo. Wrong.

    So I called Bill again and explained the situation to him. Then he explained to me that the reservations could not be cancelled.
    Read more