Satellite
  • Day 7

    The longest day

    June 14, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    On the way home from Richard and Judy's, Joyce discovered she'd left her brand new hand painted bag she bought in Santa Fe at their house. She called and made arrangements to pick it up on our way out of Phoenix.

    Our days and nights are getting mixed up. We are staying up later and getting up later. This morning we barely made it up in time for breakfast. At this hotel they had brewed coffee and it was good! Still we fiddled around and didn't get back to Richard and Judy's until noon. Joyce got her purse and visited with Richard for another half hour.

    We decided to go to the Grand Canyon. On Star gave us directions and off we went. We arrived at around 6ish. And, oh, the beauty, the grandeur! We walked along the rim trail and took dozens, maybe hundreds of pictures.

    The park store closed at 8pm. The 4 sisters managed to get in and shop and get out just before they locked the doors.

    There is a small town just a few minutes away from Grand Canyon National Park, Tusayan, and that is where we stopped for supper. We ate at a Mexican restaurant and had a reasonably good meal at fairly high prices. As we were leaving, sometime around 9:30, they were hanging the closed sign and locking the door behind us.

    Going to Las Vegas seemed like an excellent idea. However we had no idea how far away it was. We drove and drove. There was no phone service for any of us so we couldn't look for a motel via Google. The night turned into the next day and still we drove and drove. Finally data returned as we neared Henderson, and we booked a room at our favorite chain, Comfort Inn. We were so tired, we decided to ask for toothbrushes at the front desk and to leave everything in the car. And that's what we did. We fell into bed at 3:30 am, tired and happy to have a place to sleep.
    Read more