Satellite
  • Day 26

    Pilgrimage to Andechs

    August 17, 2017 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    Since 1455, Benedictine monks have been managing an Abbey on the holy mountain of Bavaria. The first documented pilgrimages date back to the 12th century, making it through oldest place of pilgrimage in Bavaria.

    It just so happens that they also operate a brewery, and a pretty fantastic one at that, which may or may not have encouraged me to make said pilgrimage.

    Took the train down to Herrsching to begin a march through the woods and up the mountain. There is a very clear path with minimal places to accidentally turn off the trail. I did not take that path.

    I ended up starting (accidentally) from a different point, which ended up being a good thing, as the trail was much more challenging and woodsy, which I really appreciated. I took the normal path down, so I got some variety​ in for good measure.

    I popped out right in front of the monastery, which was delightfully cool, in both senses of the word. Didn't see any of the monks around, so I figured I'd check to see if they were at the bräustüberl and have a beer while I was at it. Still no sight of them, so settled in to wait and had lunch (delicious pork), and another beer or three.
    Read more