Satellite
  • Loire Valley and More

    October 8, 2021 in France ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    We left Villamblard and meandered our way to the Loire Valley. As we drove there was not a whole lot to see on the drive. Motorway's are treelined providing little for visual stimulation besides the fall colors. We got to our B&B in the town of Restigne. I am amazed at how quiet these little towns are. They are void of any activity and its grape picking season. Perhaps this is why https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I6AF24zfSM
    Loire Valley is home to some of the most fantastic châteaux's to be seen anywhere. Check out the list on the following link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Châteaux_of_the_L…
    Between the châteaux's and the winery's one could easily spend a month here. We had limited time so we picked Villandry which is famous for its magnificent garden's. Caroline loves her an auld garden.
    Next morning I stuff myself with the most wonderful bread, butter and cheese. And off we go again. My trusty co-pilot has said she wanted to go to Normandy so off we go in that general direction and ended up at a place I had never heard of. Shame on me. Mont-Saint-Michel. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont-Saint-Michel. There are no pictures that do this magnificent place justice. Ally stayed there once and swears the place is haunted. That would not surprise me one bit. I am glad we went on the off season. It was overcrowded for us and can only imagine the shit show during busy season. Bucket List....
    Next Stop San Malo on up the coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Malo
    Here we booked a room for the night in town and walked into the walled town. Again pictures don't do it justice. In 1944, the Allies heavily bombarded Saint-Malo, which was garrisoned by German troops. They have done a wonderful job of putting it back together.
    At some point in the evening we decide to go out to the Channel Islands (something to do with a book Caroline read while a child) sure why not! Next morning we try to book the ferry online but their system would not accept our Credit Cards. So we walked down to the ferry terminal and booked there. Then walked back to the hotel and asked to stay another night so we could catch the ferry early then next morning. Haha. No rooms available and it was fast approaching checkout time. We packed our bags and loaded the car with our stuff. After a long meandering walk on the beach we found a beautiful place out in the farmland of the area. There we ventured off to have Pizza at a nearby restaurant and back for an early night so we could be at the ferry dock for 6:30 am.
    Read more