Satelital
Mostrar en el mapa
  • Día 16

    Next stop, Korčula.

    19 de mayo, Croacia ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    Today was a beautiful sunny day, not too hot but quite hazy. We have left the island of Hvar but experienced a bit of a roundabout journey to get to the town and island of Korčula.

    First off we drove 77 km from the town of Hvar to Sućuraj. Sućuraj is the smallest town on the island of Hvar in the Croatian part of the Adriatic Sea, only 5 km from the Dalmatian coast. After a break there we boarded a ferry for the short trip to the mainland. We then drove south for about an hour. We drove through a very fertile area which was once swamp land. A bit further south we crossed a fairly new bridge across to a peninsula - still on the mainland, continued to Orebić and boarded another ferry. This too was a short 15 minute ferry ride which took us to another island which is home for the next 2 nights. Korčula is one of the 48 inhabited islands. (There's 1244 Croatian islands.) We are staying in the town of Korčula, the largest town on the island of Korčula.

    After settling into our accommodation we had a walking tour of the old town. Like all of the other incredibly old towns we have visited, Korčula is quite charming. The history of these towns is amazing. Like many this too was a walled town. It is so close to the mainland, the views are quite lovely in every direction. Here are some photos from our walking tour, a couple of random photos plus a shot of our hotel. Croatia had proven to be a very beautiful country.
    -----------
    1. The couple in a photo with us are Merran and Arthur from Canberra.
    2. The last photos mix: Hydrangeas are obvious as are the interesting clocks. The unusual photo is showing a pile of black sea urchins visible through the very clear sea water.
    Leer más