Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Sarajevo

    May 21, 2023 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Sarajevo, where Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated and recently the seige of the city in the early 90s. Picture of the actual motor car he was riding in.
    I visited the Tunnel Museum to gain some understanding of the seige of the city in 1992/95. 1425 days when the citizens faced many challenges. It took 300 people, 4 months and 4 days to dig the tunnel. Digging was done without any mechanization, using picks and shovels and under candle light. On the night when the tunnel was completed, about 12 tons of military material was transported through it to Sarajevo.
    The occupation ring on the hills around Sarajevo was more than 60 kilometers long. It consisted of 260 tanks, 120 mortars, machine guns known as the "sowers of death", multi-barrel rocket launchers, snipers and countless small arms.
    Then a brief stop at the Beg's Mosque designed by Gazi Husrev, which is the most monumental mosque of the Ottoman period and one of the finest examples of Islamic architecture in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Then the Sebilj fountain in the historic district of Bascarsij. Passed by the central post office, the academy of fine arts and saw many restored buildings damaged by the conflict.
    Read more