Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Zagreb by night

    May 25, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Late evening stroll around the main square, many people out and about, bars full, trams rattling by and a music festival being performed in the main square.
    The history of Zagreb's main square is quite interesting. In the 18th century, its oldest part Harmica was used as a toll collection point, today the widespread plaza, dominated by the statue of Ban Josip Jelačić is a popular gathering place. Between 1947 and 1990 its name was changed to "Republic Square" and the Ban's statue, which originally faced north to symbolize his defiance against Hungary, was removed. Today, the re-erected Ban is pointing his sword in the opposite direction, south, the direction of Zagreb's expansion. The square is fondly called Jelačić-plac.
    It's also interesting to note how the city got it's name. According to legend, the whole area was suffering from drought. To give people and animals something to drink, an old Croatian duke plunged his sword into dry earth and saw fresh water bubble up. He called out to his soldiers: "Zagrabite!" ("Scoop up!") Then he repeated to the girl who stood close by: "Manda dear, scoop up some water!" The spring, which still stands on the main square, got the name Manduševac after the girl and Zagreb got its name after the scoop of water.
    Read more