Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Arrival to the UK Lake District

    August 1, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    It was not a user-friendly time to go flying but at least we had a confirmed seat. EK021 from DXB-MAN left at 3am with us on it, and so our Europe holiday started. A pleasant flight with a bit of sleep along the way.
    On arrival into Manchester we were met with the lovely UK summer - rain!! It’s been the wettest July for 130 years in the UK and it lived up to the records today. Fortunately we not planning to a sit out in the sun but instead had a car hire booked and headed off further north to the Lake District, all the way driving in the rain.
    We settled into the Woodlands Hotel in Windermere in the penthouse suite - well that is what we called it as it was on the top floor of the hotel with no lift. It’s best to have a positive attitude as we carried our bags up the stairs. A comfortable room but with a tiny bathroom and shower. Windermere is a lovely town located in the banks of Lake Windermere. The rain cleared up a little so we walked around town and had a typical fish and chips lunch.
    We got back to the room around 3pm for a quick siesta to catch up on our sleep, and work up at 5am the next day!!!! Wow, we obviously needed the rest!
    That next day Wed 2 August was raining again and the mist and low cloud added an eerie atmosphere to the mountains and hills surrounding the lakes. We decided to spend the wet day in the car investigating the Lakes area and took a lovely scenic route up through the mountains ending in Keswick, and then came back to Windermere along the lower lakeside. A really nice relaxing day despite the rain.
    Read more