Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    The High Passes

    August 4, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The weather continued to improve so today we decided to head out into the western Lakes District to see the countryside. Our drive would also head up the mountains and take us into the steepest roads in the UK through the narrow and winding Hardknott and Wrynose Passes.
    A really nice full day of driving through some lovely scenery and very picturesque villages. Mandatory coffee stops, a long stop at the Wast Water lake which is the deepest lake in the UK, and a late lunch up in a small village not far from top of the passes. The roads everywhere were very narrow and in many cases did not allow opposite direction vehicles to pass, requiring one of them to back down the road to a wider section. Carolina was freaking out at times but we made it through the high passes and hairpin turns when climbing and descending from the passes. We had been warning that the roads could be “dangerous” but this was an exaggeration and instead only a bit of car and sensible car handling was required.
    We finally ended up in Bowness-on-Windermere for dinner. A very nice interesting and scenic day.
    Read more