Satellite
  • Day 39

    Gokarna Beach Hopping

    February 13, 2020 in India ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    We woke up and were out at by 8. We walked over to Om beach where we had been the previous day and enjoyed a Masala Dosa for breakfast to fuel us for our walk to the more remote beaches we had heard about. We found a path at the end of Om beach and followed it through passing through jungle and desert like terrain in the process with beautiful coastal views. After a while in the already scorching heat, we arrived at half moon beach, a beautiful beach with a little shack serving food, however nobody around.

    We decided to continue to the final beach, “Paradise beach” and chill out on half moon beach later on, on our way back through. Following a path that was actually guided by red paint on the occasional rock, we walked through similar terrain to the previous path, albeit this time a bit more risky and eventually we arrived to Paradise beach. It was a beautiful beach, slightly rocky but beautiful nonetheless, however as we stepped foot onto the beach we felt eyes on us straight away. Paradise beach was quite well known for Hippie travellers coming here and spending day upon day camping here, getting high and inevitably meeting other people with dreadlocks. We were not disappointed, it was as if we were Leonardo Dicaprio and the French guy from the beach. Clearly nobody really wanted us there (it’s because we didn’t have dreadlocks I guess). There was one guy in particular on this beach who had dreadlocks down to his ankles and was wearing an all in one black oversized shirt, he walked towards the sea taking off this shirt to be completely naked underneath. He then got out of the sea after ‘cleaning himself’ and got his homemade fishing rod to go and catch his own fish...he was unsuccessful but at least he tried. We enjoyed the beach for a little while, went for a swim in the perfect water before leaving this little bit of paradise with all it’s hippie inhabitants.

    We went back to Half moon beach and there was no shade at all, so we went to a cafe where Tom got a ginger, lemon and honey tea. We thought we’d try and book some trains as we’d heard that they get booked up. The apps we were using were the right ones, however, like everything in India they didn’t make sense. One even took the money and then didn’t give us ticket!! We spent some time on the helpline to the train company, but couldn’t understand a thing. For whatever reason we then got our tickets whilst on the phone... We went for a swim and then made our way back to Om beach for some more relaxation and swimming in the sea before heading back to Kudle beach. We chilled out back at our place and then went to watch the sunset where we met with Tobias, the German guy we had met in Hampi. We went for dinner together at a place Tom and I had seen yesterday, got some biscuits to enjoy after dinner and then called it a night.
    Read more