Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Uros islands

    December 22, 2014 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    This morning we visited the floating villages of Uros. The tour operator picked us up at 9:15 although we had been told to be seedy at 8:30am, at the end we had to rush to get to the boat.

    this Uros island are located 20 minutes from mainland and are made of "Totora" reed , from a species of grass that grows in the lake . A local lady resident of the islands gave us an explanation about their way of life, how the islands were built and how important this "Totora'' was for them.

    After this we have 30 minutes to explore the island on our own and buy souvenirs, unfortunately Yovanna started to feel really bad , perhaps she ate too much last night .

    To travel to the next island we had the chance to go on "Mercedez Benz", at least that's the way locals called a "totora" boat carved with snakes. This second island was more like a commercial hub with shops and a restaurant ,at this point in time Yovanna was really struggling so she was given a special tea with plenty of leaves.

    The boat took us back to mainland and we rushed to the hotel where Yovanna had some rest.

    After Some deserved lunch with grilled trout and alpaca steak, we headed North to Sillustani, a by area with lost of burial structures and surrounded by a late Just 25 minutes from Puno. This structures are really big and were built to keep the mummies of some kings from Pre-inca times.

    Back in Puno, Yovanna was still sick (she did not go to Sillustani) So we left her alone and did Some souvenir shopping had dinner and caught up with Facebook.
    Read more