Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    The Big Turtle - Bargara

    June 21, 1991 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Visited: January 2013

    The last but not the least of the Big Things in the Bundaberg area is the "Big Turtle" in Bargara Beach. I think it is a tribute to the nearby "Mon Repos" conservation park where turtles come to nest every year. The Big turtle is a playground for kids so we had to way a few minutes for a nice photo with the turtle. There is a nice track to walk in Bargara beach and the water was calm and nice, there are no marine stingers here which was a bonus this time of the year. We spent most of the day at Moneys creek which is some 5 minutes drive south of Bargara, there is a lagoon there pretty good and safe for kids.

    Now about Mon Repos, we visited the night before. December is the time of the year when the turtles come to lay eggs, from late January the eggs are hatching. Obviously, being 30th of December we were up to the nesting experience.

    I booked the tickets well in advance, two months to be precise, and it paid off. There were close to 150 people waiting in the line however the tours are grouped by time of booking with around 30 people for group. Due to my early booking we were in group 1 and finish the tour around 9pm, apparently the last group usually finishes around 1 or 2 in the morning, remember that the "show" depends on a turtle coming to nest, which is unpredictable.

    Overall it was a great experience, fully recommended especially for kids.
    Read more