Satellite
  • Day 36

    A night in the capital

    August 17, 2017 in Malaysia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    15.37 and we are just about to take off from Kota Kinabalu with our air Asia flight to Kuching. We are staying overnight in Kuching before our 6.55 am flight to Kuala Lumpur to get our flight to get our flight to Manila, the Philippines.

    We have just had the most incredible lunch at 'Nook Cafe' in KK. Hope had tomato soup, sweet potato chips, a cheese sandwich and a chocolate brownie with an orange juice. I had a 'create your own breakfast' with poached eggs, sour dough toast, sautéed potatoes, salsa, fried eggplant and sautéed mushrooms, with an orange juice and also followed with a chocolate brownie (and ice cream). It was all so good - and so cheap (about a fiver each).
    The plan was just to go there to kill time before heading to the airport but it was that good that we kept ordering more food.

    We were going to do some more island hopping today, and go to one of the islands further away as they are supposed to be beautiful, and not as touristy. But when we woke up at 8, it was so cloudy and had rained all night that we thought it wasn't worth it. So we spent the morning getting organised - repacking our bags, and booking our first internal flight in the Philippines; from Manila to Puerto Princesa. The plan is to get out of Manila as quickly as possible as we've heard it's not very clean and is not particularly nice.

    When we land in Kuching, we are probably going to get an uber to the hostel as we have started using uber all the time now ... it is ridiculously cheap! For instance, using a taxi from the airport to our Hotel (hotel Victoria) cost 30 RM but an uber from the cafe to the airport (not much distance between the cafe and hotel ... and if anything the cafe is probably further out) cost just 10 RM (approx £1.80) for a good 20/25 minute journey.

    We started panicking as by the time we had eaten and ordered an uber it was 2.15 pm and our flight was 3.30!! But the uber came within minutes and we were at the airport by 2.40 (we did have a small worry though when the machine said we could not check in as it was less than 1 hour prior to the departure time but all was fine at the desk). We walked through security and immigration so quickly that we still ended up having so much time to spare and were sat about waiting. You really do not need to leave longer than an hour for domestic flights (however us English do like to be early).

    It's 15.49 and we are at the runway about to take off.

    Will update the blog later! Goodbyeeeee

    ****

    Writing this on the 18th...

    We had such a great night last night in Kuching! We arrived at the hostel which Hope booked on Hostel World, Singgahsana - which was great! It had a lovely little rooftop bar, and we had a nice private room with a shared bathroom.

    We chilled for an hour, then went and had some noodles from a 7/11 (we weren't starving after having the massive lunch before we flew) so just had a snack. Then...funny story, we were supposed to go and buy some vodka to have some pre drinks but ended up sat in a bar with a load of locals and were drinking beer! It was a strange but very fun couple of hours to say the least.
    We did also buy vodka though, so after a few beers, we got ready at the hostel and had a few drinks before going out to a couple of bars. We didn't even need to go out - pre drinks just me and Hope was hilarious! We were having so much fun!

    We had a great night!

    Of course we thought it was a good idea to go out until 2 am when we had a 7 am flight hahaha!!! Somehow we have managed though
    Read more