Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Chobe National Park

    July 6, 2017 in Botswana ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Given our success yesterday, I placed my animal order with Muffin before we left for our am game drive: pride of lions and leopard. And wouldn't you know, we found a pride of 8 lions with their cubs (about 8-10 months)! It's almost lunchtime now, so stay tuned for a leopard update!
    We also saw a large herd of Eland and then, during siesta time, we had 7 elephants drinking from the watering hole right in front of our deck. Tried calling the kids to show them, but wifi is very spotty at all of these lodges and the video and call broke up alot.
    PM update...
    So, no luck with the leopards. We did get some wonderful photos of impala mock-fighting and a giraffe bending over to eat. We saw more steenbuk (tiny and adorable antelope who are too skittish to get good pictures of!) And we saw spring hares (bunnies with long tails who hop like kangaroos). We had some incredible views of the animals like one would see in a safari magazine. No complaints! The terrain here is interesting, dry grass spotted with burnt logs and short trees (really bushes). We tried to see young hyena at their den but they didn't cooperate with the 6:30 curfew (our curfew in the park, that is). We did get a sundown drink and snack in the park - off the front of the Jeep - before heading back to the lodge. (Corn nuts are awesome btw!)
    Back at the lodge we watched a large group of elephants, all ages, from our deck before dinner.
    When we went up to dinner, the lodge manager greeted us and told us that they had set up a private dinner for the 4 of us in the boma (a traditional Botswanese courtyard with a central log fire where, historically, court or mediation was held). It was really nice. We were served dinner there just as we would have in the dining room but sat side by side around the fire. Time to relax and get to bed. 😊
    Read more