Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Ju Ju Well

    November 2, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Well we made it. Took about an hour and a half from Tonkoro to this well. It is in a gorge on the edge of Gone Away National Park.
    Peter & Andy had to go to Brisbane so Alera showed us the way. We had to go the long way round due to some earlier storms.
    Paul & I went Night Parrot spotting on the first night. We saw about 20 Spotted Nightjars but no NP!
    Big storm blew up during the next night.
    Instead of one rock hole there is now about 20!!! Not looking good.
    We were camped right on the fence of Goneaway NP, even tied our awning to it. The fence was actually standing for about 3 meters near us.
    The rest of it was lying on the ground.
    Well we decided to make a run for it on Thursday and head along the fence line of the National Park!! What fun we had ....... not!!
    Got to within 12 ks of the highway and were stopped by a creek with washed out banks.
    Did a uturn and tried a few different tracks towards the road we had come in on. Huge detours, winching, snatch straps, max tracks, a stick through a side wall and the list goes on. Two exhausted men that evening.
    So the next day we headed off again. More detours then we found a shady waterhole and decided to wait for the tracks to dry out a bit.
    At smoko we had a helicopter land to rescue us!! How about that! They flew over the various tracks and told us which one had the least amount of water on it. Eventually we got back to the homestead, all covered in mud.
    This was Paul's first time four wheel driving. He did a great job and pulled us out a couple of times.
    What an adventure....... a bit of damage to the rear storage box. It will need replacing we think.
    On to Jundah as it is the only road open atm.
    Read more