Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Amsterdam day 2

    August 19, 2019 in the Netherlands ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    I started this day by getting our laundry done in the hotel's single washing machine, which was occupied last night! But the boys started the day by showering us with anniversary gifts, which they had very thoughtfully, and entirely secretly, sourced and bought during their independent shopping trips in Heidelberg. And we thought they were just enjoying a bit of browsing time! Bless them.
    We trammed in to the city, and started off by going on the quick, free passenger ferry to the Nord, and the Amsterdam lookout tower. Boys and Andy braved the lift, height, glass floor and amazing views whilst kindly allowing me to stay at ground level and treat myself to a hot chocolate in a gorgeous stepped café overlooking the water as the sun came out. We then walked miles through the web of canals and streets before finding drinks and poffertjes (not sure of spelling but they're a Dutch speciality - a cross between mini pancakes and churros) in a restaurant on the edge of Park Vondel called Carousel. Uno made an appearance. More walking brought us to the terrific Riks Museum and gardens. At this point, Thomas (who'd really had enough sightseeing) decided to experiment with a fountain which was sending up jets in a sequence around a square. It's fair to say he underestimated just how much water was being sent up, by several gallons-worth - just running through a single layer caused him to be utterly soaked to the skin. We all headed back to the hotel to dry him off, and the over 40s amongst us promptly fell asleep! Dinner was much later, back into the city as the sun was setting, in an Italian called Pepinos. And I got to fulfill my dream of walking through lit up city streets at night with my boys again.
    Read more