Satellite
  • Day 134

    San Blas Islands

    June 16, 2017, Caribbean Sea ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    The San Blas Islands, is an archipelago of over 365 islands located off the coast of Panama. The islands are owned by the indigenous Kuna people, who maintain autonomy over the islands.

    We spent 4 days sailing through them and it was heaven on earth. It’s just as good as any postcard – turquoise clear blue waters, white sand and an abundance of marine wildlife. This place is a little piece of paradise.

    We got there from Panama City and were picked up from our hostel at 5am in a 4×4. The drive took around 3 hours and went through the San Blas Hills which has beautiful views of the jungle but was like being on a rollercoaster and very bumpy.

    Once we arrived at the port, we were transferred onto a motorboat and taken to the islands. There is not a whole lot to do on the islands, and at first this was a bit jarring because we aren’t used to doing absolutely nothing. After a day or two though, we started to appreciate the beauty in the island’s simplicity and enjoy the little things.

    Every day was a mix of sunbathing, snorkelling and swimming, talking/ wondering about how the Kuna's live, and having barbecues on the beach with a beer or a rum.

    We stayed for four days and weather wise we were blessed with a little bit of everything. Two days of beautiful, carribean sun, followed by overcast skies and rain.

    It was without a doubt one of the highlights of my trip. I had such a good time with Izzy, and another guy we met Jethro. The San Blas ideas are literally heaven on earth - queue the Cher song.
    Read more