Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1

    Auckland to London

    April 22 in England ⋅ ☁️ 5 °C

    We were originally due to depart Auckland with Emirates on 19 April 2024 but flooding at Dubai meant our flight was canceled. Jeannie at Fine Travel was quickly on the job and arranged flights with Cathay Pacific leaving on Monday 22 April 2024. Our incoming aircraft was late arriving due to head winds but we caught up the time on the way to Hong Kong. Quick transit and we were on our way to London. Had great flights. The food and service was excellent and we managed to get quite a bit of rest.

    We passed through customs at Heathrow and were quickly aboard the Heathrow Express train to Paddington Station in London where we transferred to a London taxi to Waterloo Station rather than fight the early morning commuters with our suitcases. We parked up in Waterloo for an hour with a coffee and then walked to our flat where we are staying for the next 2 nights. The owner was good enough to meet us there and let us in at 9 am so we could leave our bags before heading out sightseeing.

    First stop was the graffiti tunnel followed by the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben and then onto Westminister Abbey. We then wandered up past Downing Street but because it was St Georges day the street was closed and there was a huge police presence in the area. Next stop was Leicester Square and Trafalgar Square followed by lunch on the way to St Pauls Cathedral. By then we had more than doubled out steps target for the day so we wandered down to the Thames and caught an Uber ferry down to Greenwich and then back up to Westminster where we bought a few supplies and settled in for an early night.
    Read more