Satellite
  • Day 170

    Muizenberg Beach

    March 3, 2020 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today we head towards Muizenberg Beach, a popular surfing spot near Cape Town (especially for us amateurs). We opt to splurge on a nicer b&b off the beach and are not disappointed as the the view from our room is incredible. With clouds rolling over the mountainous backdrop and the sound of the nearby river feeding into the ocean, we settle in for a nap.

    Feeling peckish we walk down the beach past Muizenberg's famous brightly painted beach huts (some b&b's photos make it seem like you are sleeping in those rather than their poorly reviewed rooms) and head towards a famous fish and chip joint run by the local fishermen's wives. Not only does it serve delicious fish and calamari, but it's also frequently visited by a family of seals who wait for the scraps from the local fishermen. It's pretty amazing being this close to them, but we leave with an uncomfortable feeling wondering if the seals natural behaviour has been changed by this daily feeding for the sake of putting a smile on the tourists faces.

    The next few days are spent in the ocean on our surfboards. We can't help but feel a sense of accomplishment each time we successfully ride a wave which is becoming much more frequently. The experience would be a whole lot more enjoyable if it weren't for all the other surfers crowding the waters and getting in our way. It's funny how we aren't the only ones who thought surfing at one of South Africa's most popular surfing spots would be fun over the course of those few sunny days with great surfing conditions.
    Read more